HOW CAN YOU TELL BETWEEN A BAD CV JOINT AND WHEEL BEARINGS/HUB?

1999 Ford Explorer • 170,000 miles

I have a 99 Ford explorer 4x4 4.0 OHV. The front right wheel is making noise. It started off as a sqeak but is now grinding clunking, and getting worse. It's worst when I turn left, noticible when truning right and goes away when going strait. The CV's aren't that old either, I replaced both front axles about four years ago.
Dominicb

Wheel bearings make a buzzing noise similar to an airplane engine. If you ignore that long enough they can become sloppy and cause clunking when turning but few people can put up with the noise for that long. The guys at a tire and alignment shop are the best people to inspect your vehicle to find the cause of the noise.

It never made any type of buzzing noise, just squeaking and now grinding. It does give a binding feeling and then clunks until I straighten out. The wheel bearing are in the hubs right? And can be replaced separately from the CV shaft.

Dominicb
Yup. The wheel bearing assembly is actually held together by the stub shaft and nut of the outer cv joint. The tightness of that nut is critical in preventing the bearing from becoming noisy.