FORD CONTOUR BRAKES PROBLEM

1999 Ford Contour • 10,000 miles

The procedure you show is not correct for this model year. The adjuster is not the same. How does one adjust rear drums out, after drum is installed. The rubber bung does not get to the adjuster. Please show spacifically this procedure.
Charlespeavey

There is nothing to adjust here is the shoes were installed correctly. It uses spring loaded slip gears that take up all slack when the brake pedal is applied.

Wrenchtech
How long or how many applications of the brakes are required to fully adjust the shoes out?

Charlespeavey
After installing new shoes, and applying brakes numerous time, there is a vibration when applying brakes at normal speed that was not there before new shoes. Every thing is correct inside the drum.

Charlespeavey
They will pop on the first application if they were installed correctly.

Wrenchtech
Work the parking brake control several times to adjust the rear brake shoes.

Freemba
No, these brake shoes do not adjust that way and the brake shoe adjustment would have nothing to do with a vibration when braking. Something was done or installed incorrectly or the drum is bent.

Wrenchtech
Wasn't aware of a brake vibration. I was just responding to the following remark; "The procedure you show is not correct for this model year. The adjuster is not the same. How does one adjust rear drums out, after drum is installed. The rubber bung does not get to the adjuster. Please show spacifically this procedure."

Go info from Alldata and posted it here. How do those brakes adjust?

Freemba
It has an eccentric cam with fine teeth on it that is spring loaded. As soon as the shoes spread, the cam jumps ahead until it meets resistance and locks there. To back it off, you just separate the 2 gears.

Wrenchtech
Charlespeavey,

I have a video that shows the procedures for replacing these brake shoes and dealing with the adjuster. Send my you email address and I'll send you the info. (To send me the email address, simply reply to this post and include you email address). Thanks

Freemba
I would think twice about posting your e-mail in a public forum.

Wrenchtech