DODGE STRATUS ENGINE PROBLEM

1999 Dodge Stratus • 290,000 miles

I ran out of gas and thought I fryed the fuel pump but after droping the tank the fuel pump works when hooked up direct. I have swaped relay's but still can not get power to run back to the pump
Shawnjlb

You better not have voltage to the pump unless you're cranking the engine. If you do, you'd have a fire hazard in the event of a crash that ruptured a fuel line. You should only have voltage to the pump during engine rotation, (cranking or running). The easiest way to determine that is to measure the voltage at the coil pack, any injector, or either small wire on the back of the alternator. That's usually the dark green / orange wire.

Thank you for your reply. Your right something I missed is that it should come one only for 4-5 seconds after turning the key.I got someone to help me, turn the key wile I use test light and it is putting power back. But I know for sure the pump wasn't coming on before I dropped the tank. Is it possible dirt would have clogged the pump or filter? It works perfect after I had it out

Shawnjlb
What works perfect? Do you mean you have voltage on the dark green / orange wire during cranking? If so, do you have spark?