ENGINE CODE P0748 COMES UP ON THE SCANNER. IS SOLENOID ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE TRANSMISSION OR DOES IT REQUIRE TO BE OPENED UP

1999 Dodge Durango • 18,000 miles

This is a 1999 durango 4 wheel drive with a 5.2L V8. The vehicle goes but it is really slow taking off. It was a pint low on transmission fluid. I had been driving it through out the day about 105 degrees outside on stop and go errands. I was at a red light and when I went to accelerate the vehicle was really sluggish and hesitant to go. After reving the engine it took off across the intersection where I pulled into a service station and checked the fluid. I added the pint of transfluid which didn't do anything to solve the problem. I only lived about 1 mile away so I limped it home and waited a day and then hooked up my OBD-ll and got the code P0748. Is this something simple that can be done without taking to a trans shop. Can you tell me where this governor is located or what it looks like, how many wires might be on it. Any information is better than what I have. Thanks appreciate the help. Mitch
Up29balne1

You need to remove the oil pn to get at the solenoids. You should be checking the wiring connectors and solenoid resistance first.

Procedure is rather lenghty, let me have an email so I can send you the file.

Thanks for your help my e-mail is up29balne1@aol. Com

Up29balne1
What is the difference between a governor pressure solenoid and a governor pressure transducer and do you have to replace both of them at the same time. I see on some listings on e-bay they sell them as a set and on other listings they are individual. Would the transducer come up as a different engine code or be under the same code? Is there a way to tell if I need both of them?

Up29balne1
Solenoid is a switch which opens or closes to allow fluid to flow through in the tranmission.

In transmssion governor pressure sensor is also called the governor pressure transducer.

Usually only one item requires replacement and you need to perform tests to find out. The file I sent you outlines the procedures and that would help to determine which is at fault.

Bear in mind that codes can mean other things as well so make sure what is wrong before replacement. If it is an internal fault, replacing solenoids are not going to help.