DODGE DURANGO TRANSFER CASE PROBLEM

1999 Dodge Durango • 170,000 miles

MY BUDDIES, 1999 DURANGO 4WD 5.9 BLEW UP THE TRANSFER CASE ON THE FREEWAY DOING ABOUT 65. HAD TO HAVE IT TOWED HOME. THE MOTOR STARTS AND SOUNDS LIKE NOTHING HAS HAPPENED BUT THE 4WD TRANSMISSION IS BLOWN UP CRACKED GARBAGE. WHEN WE MOVE IT THE AXLE THINS CLUNK WHEN THE WHEELS TURN WHEN WE PUSH IT IN THE DRIVE WAY. HE WANTS TO SELL IT TO ME FOR $1000 THE TRUCK IS BEAUTIFUL. MY QUESTION IS CAN I DISCONNECT THE TRANSFER CASE OR THE 4WD THING AND DRIVE IT?THANK YOU. ROB
ROB B.

Hi: The transmission in the vehicle is designed to bolt to the transfer case and from there power to the wheels is provided by the transfer case. I would suggest finding a good transfer case in a salvage yard and just fix it.

By the way, see how much a transfer case is (salvage) and ask your friend if he will take that amount off the selling price.

But is it possible to do like I asked to move (drive)it for 40 miles?Thank u

ROB B.
If the transfer case is broken, no you can't drive it. And no, there is no way to eliminate the transfer case.