MY 99 IS HAVING AN ISSUE WITH THE TEMPERATURE GAUGE.

1999 Dodge Avenger • 150,000 miles

My 99 dodge avenger is having an issue with the temperature gauge. While driving it will slowly climb toward hot then if decelerate it will level out again. It doesn't do this all the time some times if I keep the car at an even speed that will keep the temperature down. It just started doing this after my father in law pulled off the hose that is attached to the opening where the radiator cap is to clean it off, cause it was all gunked up. I have read other forums asking the same question, many say to replace the thermostat, I just want to know from some actual experts before I go replacing parts.
Conradcorey

Usually a varying temp reading is caused by air in the cooling system.

Fixitmr
What would you recommend to fix that?

Conradcorey
Was that a big hose or small hose he removed?

Fixitmr
The big short one.

Conradcorey
Here is a picture so you know which one.

Conradcorey
Have you opened radiator cap(engine end of hose)when cool to see if it's full to top?

Fixitmr
I opened the radiator cap when it was cool, and actually that has helped a lot to get air out. Do I need to be able to see coolant when the cap is off? I always just add coolant to the reservoir.

Conradcorey