CHRYSLER SEBRING ENGINE PROBLEM

1999 Chrysler Sebring • 155,000 miles

It is a v6 jxi version, I have had sputtering problems as well as power problems, ran lucas injector cleaner through it also replaced the air filter as well as all plugs and wires, ran great for about an hour then once it sat for a bit and started it back up still sputtering, also up until recently the "service engine soon" light was NOT on, now it is, and advance auto couldn't tell me what it was, said it was "a dealer code", please help, what should I try switching out next? Cheapest option please
KoenBoalt

Do not change random parts. That is by far the most expensive and least effective way to diagnose a problem. It will cost you less to take the car to a mechanic. Also, no two sensors are ever exactly alike. The Engine Computer learns the characteristics of each one when certain conditions are met. Each time you put in a new part, that changes something the computer hasn't learned yet so you'll be inserting a whole new bunch of variables. If you DO resort to tossing parts at it, when it doesn't help, put the old part back in before continuing on.

You can get codes yourself. Chrysler made that real easy for you. Cycle the ignition switch three times within five seconds from "off" to "run", leave it in the "run" position, then watch the numbers show up in the odometer display. Be aware those codes will never say to replace parts. They only indicate the circuit or system that needs further diagnosis.

Tried the code thing, won't work for some reason, how else can I figure out whats wrong with it

KoenBoalt
You're the second person this week to say that didn't work. The only things I can suggest there is to be sure the engine never cranks, even for an instant, because that cancels the test mode, and to be sure you do it three times within five seconds. You can go four times too to be sure, but if it still doesn't work, then you'll need a code reader. Many auto parts stores will read the codes for you for free.

Keep in mind those guys are in the business of selling parts, and that's what they understand. The code(s) only tell you what to check further so don't be in a hurry to buy parts.