WHEN I GET A CODE OF PO700 - AUTOMATIC TRANNY FAULT DETECTED.....WHAT SHOULD I DO?

1999 Chrysler Sebring • 158 miles

What does the code PO700 - automatic transmission fault detected mean on a 1999 chrysler sebring lxi? In the last few days, twice it went into limp mode when trying to shift from 2nd to 3rd gear? What should I do? I went to oreily's to have the code reader put on it, but they said my car kept shutting off their computer so they couldn't get a current reading.
SKsilver

You need a real shop to check this.

700 is a generic code for general failure in the trans. It could be electronic controls or internal failure. It needs to be checked by a shop.

If they could not read the codes, how did you get the 700?

When I first got the car someone put the code reader on it and I had underlined in my haynes repair manual. The last time the code reader did work it only said map sensor and something else, but the check engine light came on again last week and twice it didn't want to shift from 2nd to 3rd so I went to oreily's and then I went to my place to look at my book. So I'm just guessing. But I don't want to have tranny problems.I had a dodge neon 2 yrs ago and went through this before. Thank you for your help.

SKsilver
It sounds internal, sorry. Have it verified at a trans shop.