BAD COOLING FAN AND FUSES.

1999 Chrysler 300 • 150,000 miles

My passenger side radiator cooling fan appears to be not working and the 30amp and 40amp fuses are blown. It will be a few weeks before I can get a new fan, and I'm being very cautious about when and where I drive it so it doesn't sit for a long time without air passing through the radiator.
Assuming I have a bad motor on the fan, can I disconnect just that fan to get some cooling?
Is there a way to test or check if the two associated relays are bad so that I don't replace them unnecessarily?
Ckibbey

Lets start with what is the fuse labeled that is blown?

"30 amp rad fan hi". And "40 amp rad fan hi/lo". There are also the two relays labeled the same but I've know idea if they've been blown as well. Car had a leaky radiator for a while and fans were constantly on. When I picked the car up father having the mechanic fix the radiator, he told me that the passenger side fan was not working. When I got home I saw the two bad fuses, and when I tried to turn the passenger side fan manually it was sluggish and hard to move.

Ckibbey
If the fan motor is hard to move by hand then I would start by replacing the fan motor because its wore out. Then replace the fuses and see what happens. Sounds like the bad motor blew the fuses.

I agree but won't be able to get a new fan assembly installed for a week or two.
My original question though remains. Can I disconnect one fan in the short term and is there a way to test the relays? What would happen if the new fan unit is installed and the two blown fuses replaced but the relays were bad? Could that cause problems? Would it work at all? What is the function of the relays?
Thanks.

Ckibbey
I know you dont have the money right now but its very risky running it without a cooling fan you could damage the engine from overheating. I wouldnt worry about the relays the fuses blew from the fan motor shorting out you said its pretty hard to turn. The relays are for the load turn on of the fan if you used a simple switch for instance to turn the fan on the switch would melt and the wires would melt.I know the fan is like 90 at auto zone. Do you have ac?

I'm actually living in Europe and need to order the part from the US (thus the delay). I'm only driving short distances now watching my temperature gauge and avoiding lights where I would have to idol. So, after I replace the fan and fuses if there is still a problem are you saying the fuses would blow before the relays?

Ckibbey
The relay isnt a circuit protection device it has the power there at all times and when the relay is triggered usually by a ground trigger it supplies the power to the circuit.Fuse will blow if there is a problem there are exceptions to rules but usually thats what happens.Have you tried http://www.rockauto.com for a fan motor yet?Also ou have to be vary careful driving without that fan working.My option on that is dont do it for the record.

Thanks. I have a new fan assembly on order from RockAuto (they're great for international orders/shipping)where I got my radiator and thermostat already. Hopefully that and some new fuses will be all I need.

Ckibbey
Your welcome keep me posted on how it goes you should be fine with the fuses and fan assembly.