DRIVER DOOR

1999 Chevrolet Venture • 6 cylinder 2WD Automatic • 130 miles

My driver door is stuck in the locked position! The passenger door is also showing similar issues but I can still unlock with the Key Fob. I cannot open the driver door with the key fob, key or from the inside of the car. I have noticed that the outside door handles are also not going back to their normal state. They stay in the open position and are loose. In the past, they used to get pulled back to the door as if there is a spring that pulls the door handle back. Any idea what could be causing this issue?
Jj962

Please note that this is for a 2002 Ford Escape with V6 engine (Not the 1999 Chevy Venture).

Jj962
The outside door handle not returning should be the cause of the problem.

The internal opener is stuck and preventing the door actuator or key from being ioperated to release the latch.

Try pushing the outer handle back to its resting position and retest if you are able to lock/unlock door.

Thank you. This seems to have fixed this issue by allowing me to open the door for right now. How can I fix for good? What is the main problem here? Should I open the door and lubricate the internal components?

Jj962
The main problem here is the outer door handle not returning to position. If the return sppring of the outer handle has broken, it has to be replaced as an assy as there are no service parts for the handle spring.

If the handle is sticking because of rust, some lubrication to the pivots should solve the problem.

If you wish to use it as it is, remember to push the handle back to its resting place before operating the door lock or remote entry if used.

Here are the procedures for replacing the outer door handle.

EXTERIOR FRONT DOOR HANDLE
Removal and Installation

1. Remove the front door trim panel.

2. Position the watershield aside.

NOTE: The tie strap does not need to be reinstalled.

3. If equipped, remove the tie strap from the anti-theft guard.

4. Remove the screws and position the anti-theft guard aside.

5. Release the clip and disconnect the exterior door handle actuating rod.

6. Remove the anti-theft guard.

7. Remove the exterior door handle screw.
8. Remove the exterior handle actuating rod.

9. Remove the exterior door handle lock cylinder cover.

10. Remove the exterior door handle.

11. To install, reverse the removal procedure.