CHEVY CYLINDER REPAIR

1999 Chevrolet Truck • V8 4WD Automatic • 89 miles

Hi, recently had to have my 99 chevy pick-up in the shop to replace the cylinder heads/gaskets. I was told there was some issues with GM about the casting of the cylinders in their trucks but I have not been able to find out any info. On line. Also as part of the problem and before the cylinders went completely I was having problems with my antifreeze leaking somwhere. When taken to the shop and tested with dye, nothing showed up. Now 4 months later I have water in my oil. After having the truck flatbeded to the garage, I find out that the cylinders and gaskets leaked. I guess my question is two-fold, one i've heard dex-cool (which i've used for years) has caused lots of problems with chevy motors, etc. As well as GM having casting issues with their cylinders. What do you guys think?
Debbie's chevy

I don't agree with either of those statements. Dexcool doesn't harm anything. It will get caked up if either left too long or mixed with air. I haven't heard of any head problems but they have had a problem with intake manifold gaskets leaking coolant for years.

Wrenchtech
I did find some information on line where there was a class action law suite against GM regarding the Dex-cool.

Debbie's chevy
Yes, many years ago and they have not won anything. Anybody can bring a suit. That doesn't mean they will win it. Dexcool has been exclusive in GM for many years. The people that have problems are the ones that don't maintain their cooling system.

Wrenchtech
That's one thing I do on a fairly regular basis is flush the system. I know with the newer products and even dexcool, you can go every 5years now. Thanks for the feedback. Great website.

Debbie's chevy
You're welcome.

Wrenchtech