A/C PROBLEMS

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe • V8 4WD Automatic • 167 miles

I have a 1999 Chevt Tahoe 5.7L Vortec 4x4. When in stop and go traffic with the a/c on my truck sounds like a leaf blower or a transfer truck when I take off. If I give it half throttle or so it will go away when I get over 35 or so. Doesn't do it at highway speeds at all. If I do alot of driving in stop and go traffic it gets really bad and the truck has no power at all, and I have to cut off the a/c and drive without it and in a few mins of driving the sound will go away. I am lost on this one and it is driving me crazy! Any ideas?
Ncmale76

Symptoms indicates a possible fault with the compressor, and anything linked to it by the belt. It could be a loose bracket mounting bolt that is vibrating emitting the noise.

It is not easy to detect such problems without the physical vehicle so it is best to get someone to have a look at it.