WHY WON'T IT START AGAIN AFTER WE "FIXED" IT LAST NIGHT?

1999 Chevrolet Suburban • 175 miles

It ran ok last night; stopped to allow more antifreeze to fill radiator. Same problem; no start; diesel, two pufs after cranking. Set no. 1 to TDC, removed dist. Cap; rotor in same position as was the distributor.
Fuel line pressure about 55 psi and plenty of spark, smell gas in exhaust after cranking.
(this is the same problem as we "fixed" last night.)
Bill For

Did it overheat? Diesel? Please explain.

It overheated a little; not near the red line.
The dieseling is after cranking; about 2 pufs.

Bill For
Ok, you re checked the fuel pressure and it is still 55 lbs?

Did you check spark at the plug while cranking as well.

The puffs of smoke, were they white? Asking as possible coolant in the cylinders.

Fuel pressure still 55.
Checked two plugs, 1 & 3 and also the coil; great spark.
No smoke, just that the engine tried to run after cranking as it did when the timing was off by one tooth.
Did you see all the messages from last night?

Bill For
Ok, one thought, is the distributor tight? Did it loosen up and move which would change timing?

I guess the next thing to do is remove all the plugs, put a rag near the hole and crank; see if any coolant appears.

Bill For
The distributor is tight and did not move; checked alignment this morning (i have a paint mark that I can align with a 6 inch scale.)

Bill For
Did you check the distributor?

It always ran regardless where the distributor was set; all it ever had to be was close to it's orig position.
What else is to check on the distributor? It's new.

Bill For
The only issue might be the crankshaft/camshaft sensors. A garage tried to set the relationship when we were trying to determine the cause of the skip and crankshaft/camshaft error codes.
Does the diagnostic tool need to reset the computer? I disconnected the batteries; no change.
There was no coolant in the cylinders, but gas on the plugs.

Bill For
Page 1 of 2