ROCKER ARM ADJUSTMENTS

1999 Chevrolet Suburban • 19,800 miles

I'm trying to adjust the rocker arms while the engine is running. What is the best way to do it?
I've already tried to loosen the rocker arm then re-tighten it by listening for the clicking to stop, but it's too hard to tell them it stops clicking because there is so much noise coming from the engine.
Markpeterman

Which engine do you have?
Never knew you could adjust the rocker arms with engine running.

5.7 v8

Markpeterman
VALVE CLEARANCE ADJUSTMENT 5.0L & 5.7L

NOTE: Although valve clearance adjustment is not usually required (engine uses hydraulic valve lifters), perform the following procedure after servicing valve train.

Rotate crankshaft until timing marks are aligned and cylinder No. 1 is at TDC of compression stroke (Firing position). Adjust exhaust valves at cylinders 1, 3, 4, and 8, intake valves at cylinders 1, 2, 5, and 7. To adjust, loosen rocker arm adjusting nut until up and down lash is present. Tighten adjusting nut until lash is removed, then tighten adjusting nut one full turn. Rotate crankshaft 360 degrees to bring cylinder No. 6 to TDC of compression stroke and timing marks are aligned. Adjust exhaust valves 2, 5, 6 and 7, intake valves 3, 4, 6 and 8.