CHEVROLET SUBURBAN SENSOR PROBLEM

1999 Chevrolet Suburban • 138,000 miles

1999 Chevy Suburban k1500 138,000 miles 5.7 L Vortec engine
vehicle was driving perfectly, accelerating smoothly, plenty of power prior to this, even driven that morning. Stalled at red light on 11/1/12 and has not started since.
no backfiring, no sputtering, no misfiring, no skipping.
sounds like it wants to start, but will not turn over
new battery
new plugs
timing chain tested by getting the #1 cylinder up on the compression stroke and rotor button sitting on #1 cylinder/plug wire and it is working
all fuses working
getting good white spark
Ignition modulator replaced
throttle position sensor replaced (handheld scanner threw only this code)
fuel pump has 62 psi
sending unit appears to be working
will not start even when spraying ether on it
security light is on and steady when trying to start

Could it be:

crank sensor?
camshaft sensor?
spider injector?
idle air control sensor?

You have sparks and starting fluid does not work which means it is not likely to be the components listed. Check the engine compression.

Is there any indication that there would be a problem with compression before it stalled and never started again?

Jody54
Not likely to have any.

Distribitor changed?

HarlandHARLAN
It has not been changed. The cam shaft sensor is inside the distributor isn't it in this vehicle?

Jody54
I am very interested in what, if anything you found as your solution. I have a 2500 with 135000 miles that just died today. NO warning, just started to pull out and made a small noise, similiar to a back fire but not. And dead. It turns over, acts like it wants to start but nothing. The fuel pump seems to be working, hubby is getting what he needs to check the pressure, but we are stumped. What did you find out with your rig?

Feelinblessedx4
As ridiculous as this sounds, it was the ignition coil. There was spark so nobody gave it a thought, I finally had it towed to the garage so they could put it on the diagnostic machine and it still did not show an ignition issue, but the mechanics finally decided to install an ignition coil and it started right up. Cost was about $130 including parts and labor.

Jody54
Thank you so much! Sounds like a good place for me to start. : )

Feelinblessedx4
I hope yours is as simple a fix! : )

Jody54
Weak sparks can cause non starting and repetitive cranking would result in the cylinders flooding.