HAS SERVICE ENGINE LIGHT ON...ERROR CODE IS P0102...HAVE CLEANED MAF SENSOR...STILL COMES ON??

1999 Chevrolet Lumina • 91,000 miles

Car had the maf changed back in March 10, and the both oxygen senors replaced last summer. Now error code indicates the maf is bad, took it to auto select and they spray with maf cleaner. The code comes back.

Their scanner inidicates more than one error. Suggesting, according to them, the computer needs replacing.

My scanner also allows for gauge monitoring as well. The only code appearing is the Mass Air Flow sensor. When I go to that gauge, the air flow indicates at ~1.5gpm? It doesn't change whether the engine is being revved or not. Could this MAF be bad after just a year and a half? Or. Do I change the computer?

Thanks very much.

Rick
Projectgator

Rick, it sounds like a bad MAF. If you cleaned it, I hope you used the correct type of cleaner. If you didn't, it will ruin it.

Hello, yes. The clean was mass air flow cleaner. Thanks very much for the answer. I will order a new maf and look to see the service engine light go out. Thanks again!

Projectgator
Good luck. Let me know how you make out. One last thought, please make sure the wiring to the MAF is good and not corroded or damaged. Do that before you get a new one.