SURGES SEEN WITH LIGHTS AT NIGHT

1999 Buick Park Avenue • 157,000 miles

I notice while driving with the headlights, they will surge brighter and then go dim for no apparent reason. The dash lights also seem to slightly dim too. Tried changing out the starter with no change. Do you have any ideas. Battery seems fine, starts with no hesitation on first crank of key.
DMG0808

Have the charging system checked out-start here

We took it to Auto Zone and the scanner showed nothing wrong with the starter or the battery. No codes came up on their scan-tool.

DMG0808
Have the alternator checked

I am sorry, I just noticed I said we changed the starter and had the starter checked. That is incorrect! They checked the alternator and it checked normal but we changed it (the alternator)anyways.

DMG0808
Could be the computer controlled circuit of the alternator field generation is malfunctioning

Hi Again,
So in plain lay-man's terms- how do you trouble shoot this or know if it is the Computer-controlled circuit of the alternator field generation. And do you have a diagram, schematic of what you are referring to? I have no idea what all that means. Could you please explain this in further detail? Thank you.

DMG0808
See below-you might probably replace the computer if the wiring from the alternator to computer checked-out good

Hi Rasmataz,

See below where? I don't see a diagram or where you are talking about? Could it be a bad ground or corroded wire somewhere? Thanks.

DMG0808
One more time on diagram