TROUBLE CODE P0505, MASSIVE ENGINE PINGING AFTER TIMING BELT CHANGE

1999 Acura TL • 6 cylinder 2WD Automatic • 160,000 miles

Today I changed my timing belt on my 99 acura tl. I have done this job before with success. This engine is also notorious for having excessive carbon build up in the egr system so I cleaned that as well. I took off the throttle body and upper intake and it was almost plugged closed. After putting everything back together (I checked the timing marks numerous times) I started the car. I let the car get up to operating temp. Still running fine. I took it for a drive and as soon as I stepped on the gas the car starting pinging very loud. I went back to the garage and when I pulled in the check engine light came on. I ran the code with my scanner and came up P0505 Idle Air Control sensor. This sensor doesn't indicate the solution to my problem. I'm gonna start tomorrow by checking the timing marks AGAIN and making sure my knock sensor didn't unhooked somehow. If you have any other suggestions that would be great because I'm sort of clueless to the problem.
Bjm539

A faulty knock sensor should through as code, but check it anyway. I would get the IAC valve cleaned what grade fuel are you using? Make sure that the tensioner is ok, check for any vacuum leaks, I would get the code sorted first, start here and let me know what you find.

Mhpautos
I use premium fuel. I took the car for a drive and now I get p1399 code. I forgot to mention I installed this kit http://www.outlawengineering.com/hondajframe.html from acura forums a lot said this helped with the egr carbon buildup problem. I may take it off and see if my problem goes away. Anyway I searched for possible vacuum leaks to include spraying intake cleaner around the throttle body and intake doesn't seem to be any issue there. My next step is going to be checking my timing belt and make sure the timing is still correct. My new trouble code doesn't indicate which cylinder is misfiring. Thanks for help!!

Bjm539
I checked the timing belt and the camshaft sprocket on the front side of the engine seems to be off by a tooth. Not sure how that happened. The crankshaft pulley and other camshaft close to the firewall are dead on. I'm going to start taking the thing apart again and realign the timing belt. Hopefully I didn't cause any valve damage!

Bjm539
One tooth out should not be a concern, re set the valve timing and let me know how it goes.

Mhpautos
So just being off one tooth could cause the excessive pinging?

Bjm539
I feel that it will not cause the excessive pinging, but to continue with any diagnosis the valve timing must be correct, also depending on which cam and if it is advanced or retarded may also have some bearing, get this sorted first, check the knock sensor, clear all codes and re road test.

Mhpautos