VOLKSWAGEN TRANSPORTER ENGINE PROBLEM

1998 Volkswagen Transporter • 206,000 miles

Took my vw t4 in to garage told him it would start through the day, then all of a sudden it wouldnt start, this been going on for about 6 weeks, he said he check all connections and every thing, said he couldnt find a problem he then said he found some water near the glowplugs he dried it off and it started 5 or 6 times on the trot. He left it for about 2-3 hours went back to it and it wouldnt start again, so I went down and on my way down he phoned me to say it had back fired and your cylinder head has blown, even tho it was running fine when I took it to him just the starting issue, could this be caused by that plese help as im confused. Thanks daren. Ps it had a rebuilt engine 3 years ago which has done 18,000.
Daren64

Could be because that the "6 week issue" finally let go completely. Or someone used starter fluid to try and start it.

When the engine started for you "after" an episode of "not starting". How did she run for the first few seconds?

1) lots of smoke and running rough
2) started fine, ran fine as if nothing was wrong

Thomas

Exovcds
When it stopped, I phoned the AA he used easy start to get it going it was running fine until the morning then it wouldnt star again, so I used easy start it started then I stopped and started it about 4 to five times through the day then it happened again?

Daren64