HOW DO YOU REPLACE THE TRANSMISSION SHIFTER CABLE?

1998 Volkswagen Jetta • 12,500 miles

1) On my Jetta, the old automatic traansmission shifter cable is connected to the frame (?) At a welded connecting loop. See photo. How do you take the old cable out?
2) then, do you just push the new cable through the firewall rubber gromet?

Christophl

The part I have marked in red is a circlip. Pry it off and you can slide the cable out. Remove the linkage at transmission end lever first.

Look how the cable is routed and how it comes out, you need to get it in accordingly.
Some components needs to be removed from interior to facilitate removal installation.

You will also have to work from under the car. Remove / lower the
exhaust heat shield to gain access to the bottom of the shifter
housing.

#31 & #10 in attached image are retaining clips. KHLow2008 pointed
out #31

Thomas

Exovcds
Both answers were helpful. I never would have thought that there was another guide under (above) the exhaust heat shield, at location 25 on the sketch, that the cable went through. This was actually the hardest part of the replacement, as that shield wasn't moving enough to gain access. I finally had to mangle it so I could get enough room to reach under (above) it and get a wrench in there.

Christophl
Thanks for the update / follow-up!

Thomas

Exovcds