VOLKSWAGEN JETTA ENGINE PROBLEM

1998 Volkswagen Jetta • 93,000 miles

Our Jetta is a standard transmission, 2.0l. While driving with a warm/hit motor, the engines seems to miss and the speedometer, tach drops to zero, and a few warning lights come on. If at a stop sign, the car will stall if we don't leave some pressure on the gas pedal. If it stalls, it for a few seconds won't fire and just turn over. Then it'll start again

Any idea's.

Jetta Owner
Hardyrueb

If the check engine light is coming on, have the computer scanned for trouble codes. Most parts stores will do it for free.

P0171 bank 1 system to lean
p0116 engine coolant temperature sensor range/performance
P0304 Cylinder 4 misfire detected

Please excuse the non-technical description of what I found.

The day I posted this question, I was looking around the motor for loose wires. I didn't find any. But I did find a melted rubber boot or hose. The origin was a rigid plastic tube/hose which was held by a "U"clip. The other end was attached to a hose barb on a vacuum or something. Would that melted hose cause the dash power to randomly shut off. Not just turning off but resetting the clock under the tach to 12: 00.

I can see it could cause stalling and etc. Also, if we drive at a steady speed, there seems to be less problems. If we depress the clutch or increase/decrease speed the problem worsens.

Any new suggestions based on the new findings?

Hardyrueb
I did find find out that this whole part and hose appear to be part of the pcv valve. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Hardyrueb