VOLKSWAGEN GOLF TIMING BELT PROBLEM

1998 Volkswagen Golf • 132,000 miles

My golf tdi mk4 had its timing belt changed 3 thousand miles ago and as I was driving I lost all power. I had taken it back to the mechanic who previously had changed the timing belt. He had told me the engine mounting had come off and gone into the timing belt tensioner. I believe he is trying to con me as I have been told that unless the engine mount is corroded it should not have come off? I have researched and found to change the timing belt you have to take this mounting off. I am just wondering where I stand as changing engines will cost too much as I am a student. Is there any way to prove that this mechanic is at fault? Thanks luke

If the mount went into the timing belt there shold bea hole or deperssion where it did on the timing cover. Besides if that mount came off the engine would drop. It is ALWAYS suggested when you do a timing belt to replace the tensioner as well. It shold say that on the bill if it was or not. Or it may say a kit. And no it sholdn't have comeoff unless the bolts broke holding it.