VOLKSWAGEN CADDY IGNITION SWITCH PROBLEM

1998 Volkswagen Caddy • 90,000 miles

I have a '98 VW Caddy, it has recently developed a problem where the dash doesn't light up at all. The battery was old, so replaced this, nothing.
Occasionally, the dash will light up and then it'll start, but the problem has got worse, and now can't start at all.

Not sure if its a relay or ignition switch, or simpler still, a wire that is not carrying power? Any help much appreciated.

Thanks,
Alex

Check for power at the ignition switch (big red wire). Then turn the key to ON, check for power at terminal #15 (should be a black wire).

I don't have Caddy info handy at this time, so I am assuming the above (North American Jetta and Golf) wiring info is similar.

Thomas

Exovcds
Check the grounds. May be corroded and not making good contact. Also check the wiring harness to see it there is any build up of corrosion. To me that is what it sounds like, a wire not making good contact somewhere. If the wire gets moved a little you then get juice. So you can try just moving some wires a little to see if it starts.

M_H_RITZEL