98 VW CABRIO - REPLACED THE RADIO; SPEAKERS STOPPED WORKING

1998 Volkswagen Cabriolet • 87,000 miles

I replaced the factory installed radio with a beautiful AIWA CD/USB radio. The radio installed seamlessly, the harness fit perfectly into the VW's snap lock connections. I even pre-purchased the antenna converter. The unit powered up and immediately began searching out radio stations for pre-sets (18 available spots). I was about to select my first pre-set and all of a sudden quiet. The radio is on, I can switch or select stations, the "power or sound bars" are jumping up and down but no sound. I check all the fuses and relays, still nothing. I check the radio fuse it's fine, I check all the wires and wire connections all fine. Next day I take the radio back to Best Buy they jack it in and bang, sound out the ying yang. They check the harness, no problems. I bring everything home re-connect and still no sound. WTF! Any clues? Thanks.

Echinopsman

Have you tested yours speakers?

Fixitmr
Yes, they work.

Echinopsman
Does old radio work speakers if you try it again?

Fixitmr

Echinopsman
Are speakers original equipment?

Fixitmr
Yes, the only item changed was the radio. As I said, the speakers worked initially with the new unit.

Echinopsman
Does your radio manual have a trouble shoot section? Any chance mute is enabled like poor reception?

Fixitmr
Yes I have a manual. I'll check the mute function again when I get home this evening. Pretty sure that's not it though. I confirm tomorrow. Thanks.

Echinopsman
This might not be a fix... but it could be part of the issue.

Read this:

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/aftermarket-radio.html

One if the wires has to be interfering with the new radio or the
radio with the stock wiring.

Thomas

Exovcds
"I was about to select my first pre-set and all of a sudden quiet."

Are we to assume there was some sound at first, then it quit? If there was never any sound, the car probably has an external amplifier that needs a turn-on signal. All aftermarket radios have a wire for that. It is usually blue and may be labeled "power antenna" or "remote".