TOYOTA CORONA ENGINE PROBLEM

1998 Toyota Corona • 265,986 miles

What could be the problem with my car, premio 1998 d4 engine, I have to start for several times(3-5) for the car to start.(Hard start).

it has engine check code 12, which has failed to clear up even after replacing crank and oxygen sensor.I have tried to clearing the computer memory by removing battery terminal and wait for 20 min all in vain.

i recently purchase Eobd/obd2 code scanner to be use it for diagnostic unfortunately the equipment has failed to link with ECU, (D900 SANSCAN OBD2 II Live PCM Data Code Reader Scanner)
after the above scanner failed to work for me I purchase usb ELM327 scanner to be using it with my laptop also did not work.
Now am very frustrated since all means has failed to diagnose and indicate the problem for repair.I have also replaced the ECU the same problem appear(check engine code 12)
questions
1. What could be the problem the engine,
2. What could be the possible DTC connector type, the pin layout are 4, 6, 7, 9, 13, 14, 16.(Very unique)
3. Which is the best scanner able to read the diagnostic code from the ECU.
4, 6, 7, 9, 13, 14, 16. JPG 4, 6, 7, 9, 13, 14, 16. JPG
368
Gerardy