TOYOTA COROLLA COOLANT PROBLEM

1998 Toyota Corolla • 139,000 miles

I just bought a 1998 Toyota Corolla with 139k miles on it. It is in great shape except for one issue: it runs hot (about 3/4 gauge). I had the cooling system flushed to see if it would help with no improvement. When I drove to work this AM I noticed the following:
1- It heats up/gets hotter while driving
2- It cools down a little bit when stopped at lights
3- It cools down significantly when stopped and I blast the heat

I have been going through the coolant flow over and over then rememberer the electric fans. With the car idling in the parking garage, I waited to see if the fans came on. Both fans come on when the temp gauge goes over 3/4 guage. And then cycle off, suggesting the fans are not coming on at the right temperature.

From my reading/research online, I believe simply unplugging the fan temp switch will cause the fans to run constantly in "fail safe" mode. Is this correct? If so, would you agree I should try making the 40 minute drive home with the fans running constantly to see if it resolve the temperature problem and, if it does, the switch is the culprit?

Wen it gets hot, turn car and fans off, put hand on radiator if you feel cold spots the rad is bad if not have system pressure checked for internal coolant leak like head/intake gasket