TOYOTA COROLLA VACUUM LEAK PROBLEM

1998 Toyota Corolla • 280,000 miles

Hello. I have a 98 corolla 1.8. I replaced the fuel pump and pulled the intake and throttle body off to clean it. I also replaced the T.P.S. When I put it back together the engine initially idled fine until it warmed up and then it went up to about 4000 rpm.S. Now when you start it it is like the pedal is to the floor and it will red line. I have checked the cables to the throttle body and they work proper. The butterfly on the T.B. Opens and closes as it should. . Any advice for me? Thank you so much for any response. Chris.
Mistyone

Check the TPS closed and wide open throttle voltages and also for vacuum leak-start here

Thank you Rasmataz for your response. I will check the voltage and look for the vacuum leak. I will gladly donate. Thanking you. Chris

Mistyone
Check for trouble codes. If the TPS was not installed correctly, it can cause that. Check for vacuum leaks as well.

HI Rasmataz and KHLow. Thank you for your response. I put a volt meter on the T.P.S and it was about 5 volts open and down to 0.2 closed. Checking the 3 wires going into it. When I checked the center wire to the outsides it worked in the reverse. I had also changed the idle air control valve. I pulled the T.B. And also the Intake Manifold. I couldnt find any vacuum leaks or bad vac hoses. Is it possible that the head gasket went bad or the head cracked? Also initially it would idle fine when cold but as it warmed up it would go up about 2000 R.P. Ms. And stay there. Eventually it got worse and now it is at this point where as you start it. It goes right up to red line. Thank you again and I would like to donate either way. But the box to push donate is not on this page. Can you tell me how to access it. Thanks, Mark

Mistyone
Find the DLC jumper Te-1 to E-1 and observe the idle speed-let me know

Click the "Upgrade Question " link and you can ptoceed to donate.

If you have a bad gasket or head, there would be coolant losses and overheating issues.

If engine is redlining when started, there must be sufficient air going in for it to occur. Is the throttle plate fully closed at this time?

As suggested by KHLow on the TP make sure its fully closed-if not check the throttle stop screw adjust if necessary and also try adjusting for minimum air

HI All and Thank you for the responses. I pulled the intake off again and noticed there was a gap between the head and intake, do to a bracket that was misaligned. It is fine now and the car sounds great. It sure was nice of everyone to help out.

Mistyone
You're welcome and glad to know you have solved the problem.
Have a nice weekend.

Nice to hear that you got it running and coming back with fix -You're very Welcome