STRONG FUEL SMELL FROM UNDERSIDE OF VEHICLE BELOW CHARCOAL CANNISTER. WHAT IS MOST COMMON PROBLEM? NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHT.

1998 Toyota Camry • 6 cylinder FWD Automatic • 119,850 miles

I'm smelling a strong gasoline odor coming from underneath the car, below the charcoal cannister. Nothing is noticably wet with gas or stained. There is no check engine light on. What are the possible causes?
Ferrari

Check for cracked, disconnected, or broken vacuum hoses to the canister. Also, check for cracks in the canister itself.

All the hoses are Ok. Because of the location, the cannister is hard to check for cracks. If there was anything else wrong wouldn't it come up as a check engine light?

Ferrari
One would hope so, but that isn't always the case. If that is where the smell is coming from, you should check it. NOTE: If you overfill the fuel tank, raw fuel can get to the canister too. It should set an EVAP code, but.

C/Canister could be saturated with fuel

Thanks for replies.I don't ever top off the tank with fuel.I've read though that the cannister must be positioned lower than the gas tank for any fuel to ever enter it. My cannister is positioned higher than the tank in the engine compartment. Where do I start? Change out all the hoses first before getting into the big money?

Ferrari
Do the scan as not all codes will set a check light, remove the canister and check that it is not full of fuel, check that the purge valve is working correctly.

Mhpautos