WHAT DO I CHECK NEXT? ENGINE WON'T START

1998 Toyota Camry • 80,000 miles

Shows no error code. Tries to turn over. Not fuel pump. Not spark plugs. My 1998 4 cyl Camry won't start. The fuel pump is working, fuel is at least making it out of the top of the fuel filter. I just changed the spark plugs, and I checked that they are getting power when I try to start the car. So, when I turn the key, the fuel pump starts, the spark plugs spark, the timing belt turns, the engine just doesn't seem to pick up from there. I went and picked up an Actron Pocketscan, and it says that there are no problem codes to display, and it says the car computer doesn't think the check engine light is on. Could it be the timing belt, the ignition coil, or the fuel injectors?
Rapitrone

Start with a compression test. It may be the timing belt

The last time it started, it started without any problems. I had no clue anything was wrong. I got on the highway, and started to accelerate, and the engine just cut out, and then it wouldn't start.

Rapitrone
Ok, start with a compression test. The timing belt may have jumped time. We need to start with basics

O.K. So I went and bought a compression tester, and I followed the directions it gave me. It said to remove all my spark plugs, disconnect the lines from my distributors. Remove my air filter, and hold open my throttle plates. Then connect the compression tester into the first spark plug hole. I couldn't bring my car up to normal engine temp as it would not start. The first cylinder reading from left to right showed bout 130 lbs, when I moved to the next spot my car made a completely different noise when I cranked it. The compression tester read no pressure for the next two cylinders, and only about 30 lbs for the fourth. What am I doing wrong?

Rapitrone
Nothing, you have a compression issue. It sounds like the timing belt may have mved or you have internal issues like burned valves.

From here you need a shop to get to the bottom of the filure and give you a bid.

My guess is still the timing belt.

Bummer. Well, Thank you.

Rapitrone