IS IT WORTH THE TIME AND MONEY TO REPLACE A BROKEN TIMING BELT MYSELF.

1998 Subaru Legacy • 215,000 miles

On the way to work today on the frontage road I was down shifting from 3rd to 2nd and I heard a loud clunk followed by the engine stopping. I popped the hood and see that there is a piece of a broken plastic sproket poking out the passenger side of the timing belt cover. I am a man of very little means these days and was wondering if it is worth rolling the dice and putting a couple hundred into the timing belt, sprokets and such. Or am I just dreaming that the valves aren't cashed and need to be sent out?
Edwardjj6791

Dream on. Some valves are likely bent.

Fixitmr
Youll need a rebuilt head as well. Ty for using 2carpros

Cadieman
You mean subaru forum LIED? Easy to find out, pull valve covers and check valve train clearances.

Fixitmr
From 97 and above, EJ22 2.2 and 2.5 liter engine are INTERFERENCE engine. If timing belt breaks, the valve will crash into the piston and bent the valves. Junk the car, not worth fixing unless you want to spend $5K or more on it. Here's the link to verify the info yourself, copy and paste to your browser.

http://www.scoobyenthusiast.com/photos/image/subaru-engines-interference-non-interference-list

SubaruFanatic