MY 98 93 DOESNT WANNA START UP SOMETIMES, HOW DO I TELL IF ITS THE STARTER OR FUEL PUMP OR WHAT

1998 SAAB 9-3 • 114,000 miles

I can try to start, it may or may not, may or may not have a lil backfire to it, may or may not try to bog dwn and die at a red light, just never know if she will start, im a woman and dont no if its a fuel pump or starter or what, UGH
Shannon 100

Do you have a check engine light and when was last tune-up?

Start by having the fuel pressure check

When this happens, does the starter work?

No check engine light, it cranks just dont start til it wants to

Shannon 100
Next time it refuses to start don't wait for it to make up its mind-do below immediately to determine if its fuel or spark problem

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine atleast 3/16 away from ground-have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, Do you hear the fuel pump come On when you turn key on? If not check fuel pump fuse and fuel pump relay if okay-check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, cap and rotor, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it and keep testing

Well thank you its a start and I will try all you have mentioned, also wondering if my battery cable may be kinda loose, if that could affect the starting.

Shannon 100
Yes yes yes. The battery terminals must be clean, tight, and free of corrosion.