TRANS SPORT - WILL NOT STAY RUNNING.

1998 Pontiac Transport • Automatic •

1998 Pontiac Trans Sport - will not stay running. I was told that the oil pump went out. The engine still turns over and isn't frozen up because the sensors noticed an issue with it holding oil pressure and shut down the engine. However, mechanics are giving opposing views. Half say the engine will need to be replaced, the other half says we'll just need to change the oil pump. One says that we'll have to change the bearings and engine but that the oil pump is probably fine. My funds are limited and I am not sure which is right.
Medleyja

The way I see it, the only way low/no pressure will kill the engine, the engine will lock-up, on this vehicle.

Whether or not the engine is ruined, is hard for me to say. Check oil pressure.

The engine hasn't seized as far as we can tell, it will start. Of course I've been told that starting it for more than a minute to verify that can cause the engine to seize, so I've been careful not to do more than a 2second test to verify it. I'm also not sure how to go about checking the oil pressure. Could it be a faulty sensor?

Medleyja
At the moment, a faulty sensor doesn't sound likely. Is the crankcase full of oil. Use an analog gage in place of the oil sending unit. I don't know of a way to check oil pressure without cranking the engine.

Yes the crankcase is full of oil.

Medleyja
You need to have oil pressure checked.