HOW DO I KNOW IF MY HEAD GASKET IS BLOWN OR THE SEAL IS BROKE

1998 Pontiac Bonneville • 240,000 miles

I think my head gasket is blown but I cant tell for sure
Ray9191

What are the symptoms? Is it over heating? Is the oil mixing with coolant or vice versa?

Jacksprat
You can use a chemical tester which you can rent at auto zone to see if you have a head gasket or cracked head issue.

Its not over heating but I can see coolant come out the passenger everytime some one revs the car and I can smell it

Ray9191
If you don't have any water in your oil and vise versa auto zone also has a compression checker you can borrow to check the compression of each cylinder.

M_H_RITZEL
Where does compression come into play here?There talking about coolant. To find a blown head gasket you use a chemical tester to see if exhaust gases are entering the coolant from a bad head gasket. Where is the coolant coming from when you rev it up?If its just leaking coolant then I would use a coolant pressure tester to pressurize the cooling system. If you think its leaking coolant externally because of a bad head gasket or something like a cracked head you can use a cylinder leak down tester.I have used those to find exhaust ports leaking coolant from bad heads etc.

Here is a pictue where it leaks from

Ray9191
What size engine do you have?

It is 3.8l v6 3800 series

Ray9191
I see what your saying, After reading post again realized it was running all right just leaking fluid. Had one that kept missing from crack in cylinder wall.

M_H_RITZEL
Yeah it does not over heat it just leaks and makes a little grinding but I replace the intake about 3 years ago this all started when my friend floored it going around a coroner

Ray9191