HOW TO KNOW IF I HAVE A BLOWN HEAD GASKET

1998 Pontiac Bonneville • 240,000 miles

How can I tell if I have a blown head gasket in my 1998 pontiac bonneville
Ray9191

You can rent a chemical tester from auto zone and its really easy to use if it changes color you have exhaust gases in your coolant.

It can be very difficult to confirm. There are a number of test that can be performed including, chemical block test, cylinder leakdown test, coolant pressure test, exhaust analyzer to sniff for HCs at the radiator, observing white smoke out the exhaust or constant bubbling in the radiator. You would need to confirm it through a few different tests.

Wrenchtech
Have it block and pressure tested

I posted a fairly log answer to this earlier but apparently it never posted although it did start sending me notifications of other responses.

Wrenchtech
I see a coolant leak and I only see white smoke when I 1st start my car than it goes a way here is a picture of where it leaks from

Ray9191
I don't see the actual leak but your picture is of a plastic elbow attached to the belt tensioner that carries coolant. This elbow rots and leaks all the time. When you remove it you will have to dig out the broken pieces from the engine and tensioner.

Wrenchtech
Ok because I though it was my intake manifold because it had a crack but I replaced it and the gasket for it but I only see it shoot out when I rev my car could there be some coolant still down there and its just blowing out the coolant that was still in there

Ray9191
Pressure test the cooling system as you should have done first.

Wrenchtech
How do I pressure test my cooling system

Ray9191
Its easy just get a cooling system pressure tester and read the operating instruction-it will walk you thru-