WHY DID MY SERPENTINE BELT COME LOOSE?

1998 Plymouth Voyager • 180,000 miles

Was driving and the power steering got real hard and van started overheating. I pulled over before it got all the way in the red. Twice but made it home. There wasnt any smoke or anything but when I lifted the hood I saw my (new) serpentine belt just hanging there. It is not torn, cracked or has any abrasions. What could have caused this?
MikoB

A bad belt tenisor have you checked that yet?

My vehical is a 1998 plym voyager! One pully is kind of loose! See diagram attched!

MikoB
The one in red is just your idler pulley it just spins with a bearing. The one in blue is your belt tenisor thats what keeps your belt tight if thats loose and wobbley thats your problem bad belt tenisor.

Thank you! I will update after repairs.

MikoB
Thank you! I will update after repair.

MikoB
Your welcome keep me posted.

Update: The mechanic put my belt back on and couldnt give me a reason why! I mentioned the tensioner
And he said it could be. Sad face. So I am hoping its just. Everything seems fine for now. Thank you!

MikoB
Your welcome keep me posted on what happens.