DRIVER'S WINDOW WON'T GO UP, HOW CAN I BYPASS THE SWITCH?

1998 Oldsmobile Cutlass • 130,000 miles

The window goes down just fine. Will not go up. Motor works fine, the switch gave up for closing it. New switch on the way but really need to get this window up. Cannot find a wiring diagram anywhere and really don't want to fry something experimenting.
Ryllflsh

The electric window motor operates by reversing polarity through the motor. When you remove the driver's door window switch, you will see a several terminals on the connector for the 4-window switch. Locate the two for the driver's window motor. According to my data, the wire colors should be gray and dark blue. There's another pin in the connector should and the wire shoud be brown - this is +12V. The black wire is ground. Jump the 12v wire to the dark blue terminal and the black to the gray. If the motor is functioning properly, the motor should raise the window. I wish I had a wiring diagram that I could attach to this post, but I am unable to copy/paste it. I hope this helps.

Dan_K
That was it! For what it's worth, there are actually TWO dark blues. I got nothing off of the first one so I don't think I hurt anything. And the second attempt. Whoosh. Without a hitch. This also reaffirms my diagnosis that the switch was the problem. Thank you very much!

Ryllflsh
Glad I could help. And you're absolutely correct: the switch is at fault.

Dan_K