WHAT MAKES MY 98 LINCOLIN MAKE A RATTLE NOISE UNDER A LOAD

1998 Lincoln Town Car • 177,387 miles

While my car is parked I can idle it up and you cant hear the noise but soon as u put it in drive and go down the road it makes this rattling noise
Mikew1987

Sometimes noises can be notoriously difficult to diagnose. Be a detective; try to pinpoint the noise. If you don't notice a difference in driveability, such as loss of power, misfires, or strange/different transmission shifting patterns, I would begin underneath the vehicle. Safely raise the vehicle and check exhaust hangers and catalytic converter heat shields. Use a rubber mallet to bang on the exhaust to see if you can duplicate the noise. Be safe! Be sure to do this when the vehicle is cool, and be absolutely sure the the vehicle is properly supported.

Dan_K
Dan_K,

NOT THAT I COULD BE A LOT OF HELP DIAGNOSING THIS!--AS THESE NEW CARS ARE ARE A OVERWIRED BREED OF THEIR OWN!

I MY INTERPRETATION, I SORTA TOOK 'EM TO MEAN "VALVE TRAIN RATTLE" UPON ACCELERATION.

ON MY JEEPS AND OTHER OLDIES BUT GOODIES, I COULD ATTRIBUTE THIS TO STARTING OUT IN 2ND OR 3RD GEAR (MANUAL TRANNY), NOT GEARING DOWN AFTER A TURN---TIMING OFF--TAPPET (HYDRAULIC LIFTER DIRTY ISSUES, WHERE MARVEL MYSTERY OIL "COULD HELP", BUT USUALLY FOR CONSISTENT "TAPPING")----USING THE CHEAP FUEL W/ LOWER OCTANE COULD DO IT TOO!

THAT'S JUST THE "OLD WAY" OF DIAGNOSING THIS---IF THIS IS WHAT YOU ARE CALLING YOUR RACKET, mikew1987, LET US KNOW

Dan_K MAY HAVE BETTER CLUES TO WHAT CAUSES THIS ON YOUR RIG