BELT TENSIONER

1998 Lexus GS 400 • V8 2WD Automatic • 170,000 miles

I have a 1998 lexus gs400 I need to know how to remove serpentine belt tensioner
Raiderdogg2k3

Are you replacing it or the belt or both or some other reason for removal?

Fixitmr
I'm replacing belt and tensioner. The belt was bad and when I replace it discovered tensioner was bad

Raiderdogg2k3
I would like an answer to this question I paid for this service and so far I am not satisfied

Raiderdogg2k3
Try this page for reference has more than you need. Good future bookmark?

Fixitmr
Yes I was aware. I had looked at some diagrams of 98(no pics) and they seemed basically the same. I have another question. What is wrong with your tensioner? If it's just a bad bearing then just replace that and save a lotta bucks?

Fixitmr
Here's a diagram.

Fixitmr
The tensioner broke, there's something like a threaded shaft that the pulley spins on. The pulley bolts onto it, it snapped when I took the pulley off, I put the pulley back on with the broken threaded shaft, torqued it to the specs and everything works fine, been driving it and everything seems fine im just worried about it coming loose. Whats your opinion

Raiderdogg2k3
Your description is a little lacking in important details. How were you able to still use the broken threaded shaft?

Fixitmr
I took the tensioner pulley and bolt and threaded it through the broken shaft and than bolted it to the tensioner

Raiderdogg2k3
Sorry, I guess without actually seeing it, i'm not going to be able to give an opinion. Your terminology is not exactly compatible with mine. Too confusing. But in any case it's up to you if you think it's good enough for now.

Fixitmr