RELAY, SOLENOID, STARTER?

1998 Isuzu Trooper • 6 cylinder 4WD Automatic • 166 miles

1998 Isuzu Trooper. All of the sudden it wouldn't start. Tested battery and replaced it because it was bad. Corrosion on terminals. Cleaned now. Still wouldn't start. Had someone go under and unplug starter wires, and clean them off and it started. No problems for a week, then got stranded again. Same person went under and "jump started it" from the starter underneath. Since it has always jumped from the starter, I am assuming I do not need the whole starter kit? Is there a way to check the relay? Solenoid? Thanks!
Justjacq3

Did you try cranking in neutral when the problem occurs?

Unplug the starter relay, use jumper wire between terminals 3 and 4, the starter should crank, no need to crawl under the vehicle. Just make sure the tranny is in park or neutral and the e-brake is set.

In the diagram, terminal 4 is hot all the time. When relay is energized, that line with the arrowhead moves to terminal 3 and carries voltage to starter solenoid. The coil side of relay is what causes the relay to energize. Voltage for coil side of relay comes through neutral switch. Ground for the coil side of relay is through anti-theft system, where applicable. I looked at a trooper limited. If all voltage and grounds are good, suspect the relay.

Where is the relay located. Do you know? Thanks so much!

Justjacq3
Under the hood, passenger side of engine, fuse/relay box, X-17 in diagram is starter relay. The box lid may be labeled.

Wonderful! Thank you! Do you happen to have the bottom half of that diagram you posted earlier? It seems to cut off half way down.

Justjacq3
Here you go.

Thanks! You are the best!

Justjacq3
Hope you get it going your way.

Thank you. It's tough since the problem is intermittent, only happening every now and then. Have to just swap out parts I guess until it's right, starting with the less expensive solutions!

Justjacq3
Yeah, intermittent issues are a pain. You have to test when problem is ongoing.