HONDA CRV ENGINE PROBLEM

1998 Honda CRV • 180,000 miles

My honda 98 CRV dies while driving. The engine just cuts off. It is so random! Our mechanic has no clue about it. There are no "check engine lights" on so he can't diagnose it. It usually starts right back up but now it is taking longer to start up. I am scared to drive it now. I was stuck on the side of the road yesterday with my 5 year old until it decided to start again.
I have a brand new batter
new transmission
any thoughts would really be appreciated.
Lneely

Have your mechainc connect a fuel pump pressure guage to the fuel rail and have you to drive it as normal. He should show you how to read the guage so that when it cuts off you can record its reading. This could be fuel related (among other things) and this give you a good starting point for further diagnosis.
Meanwhile have him to check the electrical connections at the battery/starter and ignition fuses.

Freemba
When engine stalled, did the dash indicator lights showed immediately?

Could any of these be part of the issue?

Safety Recall: Ignition Switch
(Supersedes 02-031, dated August 2002)

BACKGROUND
Electrical contacts in the ignition switch can wear
prematurely due to high electrical current passing
through the switch. Worn-out ignition contacts could
cause the engine to stall without warning. Although the
engine will restart in most cases, a vehicle that stalls
while driving increases the risk of a crash.

Or the Alternator?

Lneely

Lneely
Our mechanic has has it for 2 days. He still can't figure out what is wrong with it. The dash indicator lights show up immediately when it shuts off.

Lneely
Yes, the ignition switch could be the cause of the problem but usually it would take a while for the dash indicators lights to come on. I would still advise getting it checked.

.