FOUND THE PROBLEM WITH THE COOLING SYSTEM MAYBE

1998 Honda Civic • 4 cylinder 4WD Automatic • 151,000 miles

Hi, I drove about 20 miles north and my car was fine and let it cool for like 5 hours. Then drove a tad further I was doing about 80 on the highway the whole way home. I get home and let the car idle in the drive way. About 3-5 minutes later the guage started going up slowly. Radiator fan was not on also. Any clues to solve this problem please?

New thermostat
New fan switch
New radiator like 6 months ago and cap
swapped the relays around

Pmp

Have you checked the fan motor itself yet?

The fan motor goes on. Im guessing it goes on sometimes

Pmp
The fan could be bad and not working intermittently. When problem arises, give the fan motor some knocking to see if it starts working. Check the terminals for battery voltage if it does not.

So when you get up to operating temp are both the upper and lower radiator hoses really hot?Also we need to see what temp the fan does or doesnt come on. You need to get a infared temp gun there pretty cheap these days.I would get a ray tech one I have had mine since 1995 and it still works good.