CLICKING NOISE

1998 GMC Suburban • 280,000 miles

This truck is making a loud clicking noise kinda like a card in a spoke of a bike or big wheel. It gets faster when the engine is reved up. It will some times stop when driving and the gas is released then it will start back up as the gas is depressed. I though it might have been the starter being hung up as for it was grinding the fly wheel when trying to start but when I took the starter out I didnt feel the bendex pull back as if it was stuck.
Captkcp

Soemtimes the heat shield for the front brakes touches the rotor and makes a noise. Take a look at it especially by the lower ball joint. Pull it away from the rotor but rmember a tug away here makes it closer elsewhere.
The other possibility is a failing axle.

I forgot to mention that it does this while sitting still and in neutral or park

Captkcp
That could be a failed lifter or a failed timing chain tensioner causing pinging or knocking. With the mileage you have a failed wrist pin on a connecting rod is possible.
A failed fuel injector can make a loud ticking noise
Take a screw driver and put it to defferent areas on motor, i.E; near top end to see if you have a noisy lifter or near fuel injector to see if one is loudly ticking.

Let me know how it goes.

How does that work?

Captkcp
My code reader finally came in today I get a code p1345 (Camshaft to Crankshaft Position Correlation Fault)code this be causing the loud clicking noise

Captkcp
It is probably throwing the timing off enough to make it knock and/or detonate.
It needs to be replaced and if it is detonating, you should not drive it until it is fixed.
Let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks for your help I will look into that as soon as I can. And I will let you know how it turns out

Captkcp
You are very welcome. Come back anytime and I do want to know how it turns out.
Take Care

Dr. C