REPLACED FUEL PUMP, BUT IT OVERHEATS AND WHINES.

1998 GMC Safari • 133,000 miles

Replaced with Airtek fuel pump. Noticed that when I turn the key on, the gas gauge needle jumps totally over past full, and then returns to normal. However, the gauge needle is blurry and I finally noticed that it is vibrating although reading basically correctly.

Runs fine in cold weather, but in hot weather, I hear high whine when parked with engine running and Service Engine light comes on. I replaced the original pump at about 100,000 and when it did the above, I thought it was just a bad pump and took it back in for replacement. However, this second replacement is doing the same thing now that the weather is hot.

I have climbed underneath, pulled the main harness loose, and checked the ground on the "car" end. After reconnecting, I scratched some insulation off the ground wire and checked ground on the "tank" side of the harness. Ground was solid.
Pjgreen1@comcast.net

Did you replace the connector for the pump module? Very common for failure.

Yes, the replacement pump came with a replacement connector which I put in (on both pump replacements).

Any futher suggestions? Does fuel pump relay cause these problems?

Not likely. What is the exact pressure?