I HAVE A 98 THAT WON'T START. WHEN I TURN THE KEY, IT JUST CLICKS AS THE STARTER ENGAGES AND TRIES TO TURN THE ENGINE, BUT THE ENGINE WON'T TURN. THE STARTER WAS BROKEN WHERE ONE OF THE BOLTS THREAD IN, SO I THOUGHT THE STARTER MIGHT BE BINDING U

1998 Ford Windstar • 170,000 miles

I have a 98 Windstar that won't start. When I turn the key, it just clicks as the starter engages and tries to turn the engine, but the engine won't turn. The starter was broken where one of the bolts thread in, so I thought the starter might be binding up. I charged up the battery and installed a new starter and it just does the same thing with the new starter! I put a socket on the crank pulley and the engine turns just fine by hand. I also tried starting it in neutral and it just does the same thing. What could be causing this?
Kurtbowers

Inspect and test the starter relay-double check the battery condition and connections-