TOP END RATTLING

1998 Ford Taurus • 128,000 miles

I have a 1998 Ford Taurus efi and the oil light came on so I parked it and cranked it up and there was rattling coming from the top of the engine so I replace the oil pump. Now it is still rattling and sending off codes for the camshaft position sensor. Could that be causing a rattle in the top end or is the car junk now. It hasn't been drove at all with the rattling going on.
Chrs5503

Ensure oil is getting to top of engine. Since the oil light came up, it can mean the upper portion is running dry. If the timing chains are stretched because of lubrication problem, they could be causing the rattling noises.

What is the code you are getting?

The codes are p0340, p 1309, p0161. Is there a easy easy to see if the top end is getting oil without pulling the valve cover? And can the timing cause the oil light to be on causing low oil pressure? And to be clear the camshaft position sensor will not cause the rattling right?

Chrs5503
The sensor itself would not cause the rattling. The camshafts would. Without pulling the valve cover, it might not be aeasy but you can try removing the oil filler cap and start engine to see if oil is being pushed around within.

P0340 = Camshaft position sensor fault. It could be the wirings or the camshaft is not moving according to where it should be.

P0161 - O2 sensor fault.

P1309 - misfire monitor disabled.

Which engine do you have, DOHC, OHV, 3.0L or 3.4 L

I have the ohv engine and according to what I read the oil pump in this car has nothing to do with the timing unlike the other engines.

Chrs5503
3.0 ohv

Chrs5503
That make senses. The rattling are due to the hydraulic lifters (HLA) running dry when oil pressure dropped. The lifters have collapsed and if oil pressure is back, you would need to run the engine for a while for the HLA to be pressurised and eliminate the noise. With valves opening insufficiently, it can triggger misfire codes or cause the P1309.

I would start by checking the camshaft position sensor.

How long is a while? So the sensor is bad?

Chrs5503
It could be the sensor or its wiring. Check and ensure the the connector and wire harness is in good order.

Usually after running for a minute or 2 the noise should start to go down and it might take a while before it completly goes away. Try blipping the throttle intermittently to expedite the oil pressure build up.

Ok so I pulled the filter and there is no oil getting to it. So what turns the shaft to the oil pump and how do I get to it?

Chrs5503
Recheck the oil pump installation. Ensure the intermediate shaft had been installed and aligned correctly.