PROBEM WITH SHIFTING FROM PARK TO DRIVE

1998 Ford Mustang • 6 cylinder 2WD Automatic • 270,000 miles

Hi. I have a 98 Mustang 6cyl. Automatic, and it is getting very hard to take out of park to drive, when you push the side button in on the t-handle shifter. It does this even when the wheels are straight and on level ground, and I have my foot on the brake. Any suggestions, and how to fix, or check.
Kerrie6900

Seems the interlock solenoid is preventing the lever from being shifted out of park.

Check if the brake lights are working.

Yes. The brakes lights do work, so I don't believe it is the brake switch. Where is this interlock solenoid located and is it hard to replace or check.

Kerrie6900
The electronic shift lock actuator is mounted at base of shift lever. You need to remove the console to get at it.

Ok. Since brake lights do work and wiring seems ok, it propably is the solenoid so I will just replace it. Thanks for everyones help, much appreciated.

Kerrie6900