CAN YOU TELL ME WHAT WOULD MAKE THE TEMP. GAUGE RISE WHEN I HIT THE GAS BUT FALL WHEN I LET OFF. I HAVE A F150 W/ V6 4.2

1998 Ford F-150 • 203,000 miles

I can let it idle for ever and it wont run hot. If I drive it once I get over 35mph the gauge starts going up but when I let off the gas it goes back down.
Chrshuckaby

Cold be a bad sender or a bad ground. Make sure the coolant level I s full as well.

If the sensor is bad, could I just be getting a wrong reading or is the engine really running hot. It never does steam up or boil.

Chrshuckaby
I thinkit would be a wrong reading. Some of these sensors if you have the worn gmix of antifreeze screw up their readings. I doubt the engien is running hot, if it was it would be low on power and other indications. The only thing I can think of other than that would be a water pump impeller is slipping on the shaft whe speeding up. You can always manually check your temp while running at idle as well.