FORD F-150 DIESEL PROBLEM

1998 Ford F-150 • 75,000 miles

Every other auto belt tensioner appears different than what Ive seen on all the other pictures, and I have NO idea how to release the tension to put the belt back on. All the other tensioners Ive seen have a square hole for a ratchet which you turn to loosen, but mine has no such hole! Everything else in the process is done, but im stumped here amd have NO idea about cars more or less. So temper your answers please. Hw do I release the tension to put the belt back on its final pulley!

What you see in the image is the top of the tensioner, obviously attatched to the pulley which (theoretically) should loosen! Pleeeaaasseee help. Haha
Andykerner

There should be a bolt on pulley you can put a wrench on to loosen/tighten if not a square hole. Herei spic for 4.6 or 5.4 is this a diesel? If it is tyou use the bolt on the pulley

My truck is a 4.9. Does that change anything?

Andykerner
Yes it does because there is no 4.9L listed are you sure this is the correct year? It will adjust by bolt on pulley, this has to be a 97 not a 98 because a 4.9 is not in a 98

That must be right then. Im sorry! What changes then?

Andykerner
In98 there wasn't a 4.9 evenput in thetruck jsut try adjusting by the bolt on the pulley of hte tensioner the engies in 898 listed are 4.6 5.4 6.3 and 7.3 diesel nothing else.