FORD F-150 BATTERY PROBLEM

1998 Ford F-150 • 170,000 miles

I have a Ford F-150 1998 Automatic 4WD. I recently purchased it. The seller said it has "electrical problems" we had to jump it originally. I left it running for a while, bought it and took it home (1-hour drive). I got home turned off the truck, came back about 5 minutes later and it wouldn't start. When you put the key in, lights come on, headlights work, and the door dings. When the key is turned, it clicks ONCE, and everything is dead, no lights no sound, you turn the key again and nothing. Nothing at all. EVERYTHING is dead. The battery tested good. I replaced both battery connections, and there is no corrosion at all. The truck can still be jumped, but it cannot start under its own power. Any ideas on what is going on? Any help would be appreciated
Nicholasengert

How was the battery tested?

What about the ground connections and power connections beyond the battery? Start solenoid connections, grounds on block and fenders? All these need to be checked one by one as any or all can give you the issue you have

Its more of a connection issue? And I simply took the battery into NAPA and asked if it was still good, they said and recommended replacing the connectors to the battery. I'll check the rest of the connections.

Nicholasengert
Thats a start. We have to start at basics

The ground connections and power connections look good. Everything seems to be where it is supposed to be, nothing loose.

Nicholasengert
I replaced the starter relay, didn't help, following the wires the only thing I could was in this picture below could this need to be replaced?

Nicholasengert
.

Nicholasengert
The problem was a bad ground wire connection to the frame under the car. It was by the fender. A good way to test the ground connection is I put jumper cables from the negative battery post, and grounded the other end, leaving the positive ends unconnected and the truck started itself right up, and it was matter of cleaning all of the connections coming from the wire. Thank you so much for all of your help!

Nicholasengert