FORD ESCORT SENSOR PROBLEM

1998 Ford Escort • 12,000 miles

After short trip and shut down it won't start until it cools for about an hour. Shot of ether and starts right up. Car is fine any other time. When it won't start there is juice at the injectors but no pulse. Replaced relay box under battery and replaced temp sensor. Seems to be a ground problem with injectors and must be temp related because if driven for an hour and shut down it starts right up. Usually won't start after shutting down after partial warmup.
Georgepelyak

So after it get warms it will die while driving and then will crank and wont start and there is no ground pulse at the injectors while cranking?Have you checked for codes yet in the computer?

Never dies while driving. Won't start after shut down without a shot of ether or let it sit for several hours till totally cold. Once started it will run all day start and stop no problem. Will a code show up if the car is running fine. Dealer said bring it in when problem happens. Can't do that!

Georgepelyak
If you dont live in California you can take it to a auto parts store to get the codes read.I always start with checking codes.

I understand what your saying but my question is this: can a code be had if the problem isn't present. Let me be as clear as possible. Suppose I go to Auto Zone and ask them to scan the computer and the car starts. Will it show a code.I'm thinking nothing will show up unless the problem is present and the car won't start. In that case I'd think a code would show up. If the problem isn't happening at the time all I can think to do is to drive there every day until I get a no start situation. What do you think?

Thanks for your help but you actually haven't told me any thing yet. This problem has been going on intermittently for years now.

Georgepelyak
Iam sorry I didn't answer that part of your question if the problemhappened recently a code will be stored in your computer if there is a code that the code reader can read.A diyer scan tool can only read engine and transmission codes the professional scan tools can read more computers and live data etc.I wouldn't have asked you to try to get codes read if it wasnt possible to get any just so you know.

Got it scanned at parts store. It was in no start mode. Scanner only found 1 code which was P1,000 which evidently means battery disconnected so that's not possible. Guess I have to get it to a pro scanner

Georgepelyak
That sounds like a good idea.

Got it scanned by pro. Found no codes. Suggests replacing cam sensor. Am having it done but do you think this could be the problem?

Georgepelyak
The cam sensor would explain the no fuel injector pulse and how it how could come and go. Just strange there is no code for it. Do you have a multi meter?We could check the cam sensor when it doesn't start.